Batch Cycle Time Histograms

Joe Reckamp

• Seeq Team

Many batch customers want to track cycle times of batches. Histograms are a great way to aggregate and visualize the cycle times for continuous improvement.

The data set involved includes a Batch ID (typically a string signal, but could also be a capsule with a Batch ID property) and optionally a signal for splitting up the batch such as a unit procedure, operation, phase, or step.image.png

In order to prepare the data for the histogram, we need to convert these signals into capsules with the appropriate Batch ID and operation as properties on each capsule. This can be done in the following ways depending on whether the optional operation is included:

Only Batch ID:

$signal.toCondition('Batch ID')

Batch ID + Operation:

$OperationSignal.toCondition('Operation').removelongerthan(30d)
.transform($capsule ->
	$capsule.setProperty('Batch ID', $BatchIDSignal.toScalars($capsule).first()))

Note that you may need to filter out certain capsules (such as "Operation 0" in the picture above) using the keep formula. Also, depending on the frequency of the Batch ID sample recording, the $BatchIDSignal may need to have a ".resample(1min)" or equivalent added in prior to the "toScalars()" operator to ensure that a sample is present during each operation.

image.png

You can then build a histogram on the capsule with the "Total Duration" statistic aggregating by first the Batch ID property and then the Operation property as shown below:

image.png

image.png

image.png

Note: The option to stack the histogram is available under "customize" in the Details Pane.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Thanks for this post. 

I have a few questions:

1) Is it possible to see the product just below of the batch ID?

2) How I can create an histogram but intead of using the batch ID the product? I did overlaping with the property product but what it shown if the total batch duration per phase of a certain product, but what I want to see is the average duration for each product.

Thanks.

Alba

• Seeq Team

HI Alba,

To answer your questions:
1: Currently you can only show one property at a time in the histogram. If you would like to see the product associated with that batch you can use capsule properties to create a new property that has both the batch and the product information. Here is a forum post that shows the use of the setproperties function: 

2: if you want to aggregate by average batch duration- you will first need to create a new "Signal from Condition" that calculates the total duration for each batch:

image.png

From here, you can use this new calculated signal in a histogram to calculate the average batch duration by product

image.png

Hello, 

Thanks for your reply. Regarding the fisrt question, I already did it using the property, but my idea was to see the product in the histogram plot. For the second question, It is clear for the total duration, but not including the phases, I mean, I want to see for each product the average duration of each phase.

Thanks.

image.thumb.png.4b7d9fe1916eb5ce579b1ba63ea6202d.png