Create Topic with Seeq-API and fill with dynamically created documents / pages

hanskanns

I´m planning to do the following but I´m not sure if this is feasable via the seeq Rest api and Python

There is a Seeq "Template" (a monthly Report) -> a Organizer Topic with 1 Page (document).
Within this document are some data-ranges defined and there are some text fields (with f.e. the Name of the regarding month)

If a new month begins, python will have the name of the just finished month together with the data ranges.

Now can this be automated via the seeq-rest-api: ?
Use the "Template" document and create a new document in another Organizer Topic, rename it, modify the data-ranges,
automatically update the linked seeq content of the page and rename some text fields (with f.e. the Name of the regarding month)
As far I know, there is only the Date Ranges Variables in the Org. Topic, so I guess it is difficult to update the text fields.

• Administrators

To change the text in a document you would need to alter the HTML. It could probably be automated with spy.workbooks but it would be a lot of work. Also, if you wanted to copy the report and reuse it you would need to create a new script or make an addition to the script to separately handle the HTML for the new topic since they won’t be the same.

I am not sure what version you are on but in newer versions you have the ability to make a date range as a text label. This feature might be what you are looking for. See screenshot below.

image.png

• 3 months later...
  • Seeq Team

There is a new capability in SPy version 184.12 (released today to PyPI) called Workbook Templates that I believe fits the bill for what @hanskanns wants to do.

To see it in action, you'll need to install the new version of SPy using the instructions at https://pypi.org/project/seeq and then get the updated documentation by doing

spy.docs.copy()

Then you'll see a new documentation notebook called Workbook Templates.ipynb that will walk you through it. You can put some "placeholders" for text fields that you want to replace using syntax like

{{MyTextField}}

in your Organizer Topic.

If you end up trying it, let us know if you have any problems getting it to work.

image.png