Journal Entry Links between worksheets / workbooks for viewing different asset outputs in one worksheet

Hello,

In previous versions of Seeq, I used the journal entry links to copy signals or conditions created in one worksheet to a different worksheet or workbook. However, in R55, this capability appears to have been removed. Is there a different way of doing this?

See below screenshot:

image.png.c194ee93824195c8dd38b71a60f3df24.png

For context, I am trying to compare a calculated value across several different assets that I created in the Asset Group Editor. I would like to do this comparison all on the same worksheet. When I tried to add a "Calculated item" using an "Existing seeq item" to the Asset group that at I created, Seeq uses the same asset's inputs across all the asset's instead of pulling different input's depending on the asset group. Obviously, I am doing something wrong here, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks

Corey

image.png.2867cbfe04ea14e25a0825881ff8f7cd.png

image.thumb.png.200c8ac14f74d4dc2cf6da0677cb317e.png

• Seeq Team

Hi Corey. We did have an issue with pasting text between Journals identified in R55.4.2, but that should be addressed in R55.4.6 and later. We'll work with your Customer Success Manager to get you access to a more recent version. 

Note that it is a best practice to make signals global when you are using this Journal workflow between workbooks. Also note that Asset Groups are currently scoped to a single workbook so you likely will not be able to take advantage of an asset group between different workbooks.

That said, I'm not sure why the four signals from different assets have the same values. You might want to plot the inputs, dp - clean and flow - clean, from each of those assets to confirm that they are indeed different in the asset group, or chase up the hierarchy as needed. When I created a calculated item inside an asset group, I see different values reflected, even when I add assets after initially adding calculations. Which order did you add new assets? Calculation first or assets first?

image.png image.png

Hi Joanna, thanks for the quick response. I am using version R55.4.5 so this makes sense why I'm having issues with journal links.

Regarding your other suggestions, I was able to rectify the issue, by drilling up the hierarchy and plotting some of my intermediate calcs such as dP - clean and flow - clean.  I think I selected the calculation that was specific to the asset when I should have selected the "Seeq calculations" option when I was adding a column to my asset group

Another hint that I should have picked up on was that in formula editor within the asset group, the item symbol was for a signal instead of 2 columns.

Thanks for your help!

image.png.382a0a0d97a84db97bbe6bf18ddcb4c1.pngimage.png.907707a6108bba4afd901cb29c960044.pngimage.png.8095721284f2cb547389f188e5695122.png

Hi Joanna,

It appears that I spoke too soon. I am still having issues getting the asset group formula outputs to match the calculation values that are in the individual worksheets. They're different now and not all the same, but they do not match the values that I calculated in the asset specific worksheets. The only asset that matches is the first asset in my list.

I've summarized my process below in case you see anywhere where I went wrong:

1.  Built an asset group for assets V-3340 A through D and mapped the native Pi tags to V-3340 A - D. I added the assets first, then the columns. The columns were named "flow" and "dP"

2. Created a new worksheet for V-3340A and completed my analysis using the "flow" and "dP" tags to find the final output value of "resistance". I had some intermediate calculations of "dP - clean" and "flow - clean"

image.thumb.png.39f6daecccec2fe59ea6b5e99ac1f6ca.png

3. Copy and pasted the V-3340A worksheet and used the asset swap function to switch in V-3340 B - D values, respectively for each new worksheet. The output value of "resistance" made sense for each respective V-3340 asset.

image.thumb.png.98e59fcce1a5c90bac006808f66a2316.png

4. Created a new worksheet to compare the V-3340A - D resistance values on a single trend. 

5. Added columns for the calculated values of "dP - clean", "flow - clean", and "resistance" to my asset group. I utilized the "existing seeq item" option and picked the option that was not asset specific for the "dP - clean", "flow - clean", and "resistance" calculations .

image.png.0155210c19423b7915d6a58eecb44e5c.pngimage.thumb.png.619965b4ae3f9b623d596a3f70017240.png

6. Next, I plotted the "dP - clean", "flow - clean", and "resistance" values for each different asset on a single trend. The "dP - clean" and "flow - clean" values match the values on my individual worksheet, but the "resistance" value only matches for V-3340A. It does not match the individual worksheet values for V-3340B - D.

image.thumb.png.cbe3fb06fe4ee17c293ea0772e67f4ff.png

7. Since "dP - clean" and "flow - clean" values were working correctly in my asset group, I decided to try and manually or "Build formula from scratch" to complete the "resistance" calculation within the asset group. This yielded the same bad result for V-3340 B - D. I've shown the screenshots from both the resistance calc that I built in the V-3340A worksheet that I would referenced when I used the "Seeq calculation" as well as the manual one in the asset group.

image.png.069d284df3790e515c307cd7f37e7e66.pngimage.png.37adea3bcbd0bb952b57e25792923bd6.png

image.thumb.png.c29f26fe6072c58da92c68b641e31485.png

Hopefully, that's clear. It's a bit of a head scratcher why my intermediate calcs seem to be working properly in the asset group, but not the resistance value...

Edited by Corey Mills