FAQ

I would like to create a condition for the summer season that runs from May 1 - September 30, but when I use the Periodic Condition tool to create a monthly condition and select the months May-September, I get individual monthly capsules rather than one capsule for the entire summer. Is there a better way to do this using Seeq's tools?

Solution 1 - Using Seeq Point & Click Tools:

1. Use the Periodic Condition tool to create a condition for May.

image.png

2. Use the Periodic Condition tool to create a condition for September. 

image.png

3. Use the Composite Condition tool (join operator, inclusive of A, inclusive of B) to create a new condition that spans from the beginning of May to the end of September. 

image.png

Solution 2 - Using Seeq Formula:

1. Create a monthly Periodic Condition selecting all of you "summer months". Note that while it looks like one long capsule at the top of the display pane, it is actually 5 adjacent monthly capsules. You can confirm this by looking at the capsules pane in the bottom right hand corner of the application. 

image.png

2. Use Seeq Formula and the merge() function to merge adjacent capsules. The appropriate syntax for merging adjacent capsules can be found by searching the word "merge" in the search documentation bar within Seeq Formula and scrolling to the example to "merge overlapping AND adjacent capsules". Note now in the capsules pane there are still the individual capsules for summer months, but there is a new green capsule that spans the entire summer as defined in this problem statement. 

image.png

• Like 1

• Seeq Team

Solution 3 Pure Seeq Formula

The desired condition can be expressed in one step with Seeq Formula:

periods(5 months, 1 year, '2015-05-01')

That function allows you to mix the durations of the capsules with a different period. The 3rd parameter is an example origin for the capsule. In this case you could pick any year, as long as it starts on May 1 and the engine will create capsules using various increments of the period.  

(There's also a 4th parameter that can be used to fine tune the timezone of the midnight origin)

• Like 2

• Seeq Team

Another option for creating conditions for seasons, would be to use the Custom Condition tool.  The Custom Condition tool allows you to specify the start and end time of each capsule in a condition.

Here I've used the Custom Condition tool to create a condition for seasons in 2019.  This condition contains a capsule for each season:

image.png