Calendar Month vs Normalized Month

Need to clarify the difference between a "calendar month" (per an actual calendar) and a "normalized month" (365/12)

Example screenshots:   

1.  I set the time window to 1 month, starting January 1st at 12:00am.  It ends January 31st at 10:00am.  This is a "normalized month" 

2.  I do an integral over months, UTC-12:00.  It resets on the 1st of each month at 6:00am.  This is a "calendar month".

3.  If I manually type in "6 months," it is 1/1/2020 12:01am to 7/1/2020 1:01pm.  However if I manually type in "26 weeks" it is automatically converted by Seeq to "6 months" and it is 1/1/2020 12:01am to 7/1/2020 1:01am.  The length of the 6 months is different!

Here's the real kicker:  I manually type in 6 weeks and it is automatically converted by Seeq to "6 months".  I then manually type in "6 months".  The time scale doesn't change, it still ends at 7/1/2020 1:01am.  So the length of the "6 months" that I entered depends on the previous state of the chart.  

Same thing happens for a year.  One year is 365 days (or 366 days for a leap year).  It is not 52 weeks * 7 days = 364 days.

It would greatly help us to get these time frames resolved.  Contracts and accounting run on true calendar months and years.

3 How long is six months.pdf 1 Normalized Month.pdf 2 Calendar Month.pdf

Edited by Adam Georgeson
PNG graphics were fuzzy. Replaced with PDF.

• Seeq Team

Hi Adam,

I understand your confusion in this area concerning the display range.  I will take this feedback and work with the team to write up a Story Board on this that we will review with our development team. 

In the meantime, for calculations related to contracts and accounting I would recommend you use conditions made through the Periodic Condition tool.  In the advanced options of periodic condition you can also select a time zone or shift to align with shift schedules. 

You can also generate these using the formula tool using the Periods function. Both the formula "periods(1month)" and "months()" will return you true calendar months.  The same goes for "periods(1year)" and "years()".

Thank you for reaching out and we appreciate the feedback. 

Morgan

• Like 1