Handling of invalid units

Thorsten Vogt

Hi,

I came across this issue when I used Seeq Data Labs for uploading data from an Excel file into Seeq. The file contained some signals, that used "1/Min" as UOM. While uploading the data to Seeq I got the message that the Unit is not supported. I created a sample with one signal to reproduce the issue:

image.thumb.png.d43bda5b814c2e53a77c3bd38a349924.png

Is there a way to let SDL check for invalid units before pushing data back to Seeq? The bad thing is that the signal is created in Seeq and cannot be archived within SDL or Seeq Workbench:

image.thumb.png.47b25c2b60601a23935986676b58a39c.png

image.thumb.png.d39b6d512710df65abba72912f572577.png

Only way to archive these items seems to be using SDK or REST API.

Regards,

Thorsten

• Seeq Team

Hi Thorsten,

In an upcoming version of Seeq Server (R22.0.46.xx) it will be possible for SPy to verify units prior to pushing. (We needed to fix a problem in the REST API that was preventing SPy from querying Seeq Server for the list of supported units.) I'll circle back to this thread to notify when SPy has the capability, but keep in mind that you will need to upgrade Seeq Server as well.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Seeq Team

With respect to archiving, I think if you change `Archived` to `True` in the DataFrame and then `spy.push()` that item, it should mark it as Archived. Have you tried that?

Note that the `spy.push(archive)` argument is a little misleading-- it is used for another purpose. I'll think about whether to rename that for clarity.

22 minutes ago, Mark Derbecker said:

With respect to archiving, I think if you change `Archived` to `True` in the DataFrame and then `spy.push()` that item, it should mark it as Archived. Have you tried that?

Note that the `spy.push(archive)` argument is a little misleading-- it is used for another purpose. I'll think about whether to rename that for clarity.

Hello Mark,

like this way?
image.thumb.png.96497ba0830fa538d79cb7c8d419d384.png

The body of "Push Result" is: '{"statusMessage":"Invalid unit \\u0027/Min\\u0027"}'

Regards,

Thorsten

• 2 weeks later...
  • Seeq Team

Thorsten, I tracked this down to a non-obvious issue with your initial push wherein you specified `Value Unit of Measure` instead of `Value Unit Of Measure`. (Notice the case difference on the word "of".)

Unfortunately due to another issue with Seeq Server, once you push with the wrong case, the signal becomes "tainted" and you can't make any changes to it via a normal spy.push. As you found, you can only archive it with the SDK.

I'm going to add appropriate guards and error messages to spy.push() that prevent inadvertent use of the wrong case, and I'll also log a bug report in our system to fix Seeq Server.