Lower case "i" in formula variable names

Why is Seeq R21.0.44.0 preventing me from using a lower case "i" in a formula's variable name?

For example, variable name $bi is automatically changed to variable name $bI   (upper case).  

I don't prefer to use the upper case "I" since it looks similar to the number 1, and to the lower case "l"

screenshot.png

Edited by Adam Georgeson
Add screenshot

Hi Adam,

I have a couple of questions regarding the behavior you are seeing and how it may be related to the screen resolution.  

In the example screenshots below, I am working with R22.0.46 on a Dell XPS15 (2018 version) laptop and a 25 in HP monitor.

Screen capture from my 25"monitor at 75% zoom using Google Chrome:

image.png

When I zoom in to >80% and out <70% the lower case "i" is easily distinguishable. 

Screen capture from my 25"monitor at 90% zoom using Google Chrome:

image.png

Screen capture from my 25"monitor at 67% zoom using Google Chrome:

image.png

When viewing this formula window on my actual laptop screen, the small "i" is visible throughout all ranges of browser zoom. 

I would be interested to know which browser you are using, if you are viewing directly on your laptop or using an external monitor and what the zoom setting is on your browser. I'd also be interested in which (upper or lowercase) form of "i" seeq inserts in the Formula when you use the auto-complete version of the formula variable. You can test this by typing "$" in the formula editor and selecting your variable name from the drop down that pops up. 

Thanks!

Allison

• 3 weeks later...

You're right Allison.  It happened again.  Chrome at 80% zoom.  Monitor 1366x768.   Looks good at 67% zoom and 90%.  At the 70% and 80% zoom, the "i" merges into an "I"

Not a great font for the variable names.  The word "Variables" is written at the top in a different font.  At the same zoom level, the "i" is clearly visible.  

• Confused 1