Ability to do a first order filter?

Seeq has many different smoothing / filtering options, but I don't see a simple first order filter 1/(Tau*s + 1).

This form of filter (sometimes called a first order lag) is the block I have available in the DCS control system to do filtering and I'd like to look at existing data and see what the filtered signal  will look like in the DCS to pick a good value of Tau.

Am I missing something, or any thoughts on how to duplicate a simple first order filter?

-Steve Roney

• Seeq Team

Hi Steve,

You are correct in that there is not currently a function for performing first order filters. We tend to see the filtering algorithms already available work for the majority of use cases but we understand the value gained from having an explicit first order filter. As such this feature is currently being worked on and I'd expect it to be included in an upcoming release. If you'd like to learn about the other filtering algorithms in the meantime, I recommend looking at https://support.seeq.com/space/KB/592117784/Filtering%20and%20Smoothing where we discuss filtering in Seeq in depth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • Seeq Team

Hi Steve,

As a follow-up to your "ability to do a first order filter in Seeq" question from earlier this year, I wanted to mention that the latest version of Seeq (R50) now includes an exponentialFilter() function in the Formula tool. This new function does the first order filter (or first order lag response) that you are interested in. You can see an example below where 3 first order filters were created with different tau values, to filter the raw signal. If you need any help testing this out, don't hesitate to let us know!

FirstOrderFilterExample.JPG

• Like 2