Comparing signals from different time periods

kward

I am comparing flow data from multiple years.  Is it possible to have all signals on one trend without being spaced apart through time. I'm sorry if this is vague, I am very new to SeeQ. 

Edited by kward
wording

Hello kward,

as I understood your question, the easiest way to do this is using Capsule View, which overlays the signals for each capsule. In this example I used two signals and created a Periodic Condition for each day:

image.thumb.png.5b6f76ac481fc6b0e24cf0532d497347.png

By clicking "Capsule" in the top menu and selecting the capsules you are interrested in, you can compare the values during each day, as all values are are shown in relative time from the start of their capsule.

image.thumb.png.4bf3ee032610960e4676ce6e6a9e3a36.png

Did you mean something like that?

Regards,

Thorsten

Hi kward,

Capsule View should get you the desired output, but you you need a condition to create capsules for which you can overlay the signals. My example is for comparing daily values. You can switch the perdiodic condition to Yearly to compare the signal for different years:

image.png.29698692886cd4230fa516a95f396073.png

Regards,

Thorsten

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

I am trying to do the same as OP with capsule view, but can only show three segment with the pop up message that capsule view is limited to maintain display performance. I am only looking at one signal with one condition that have capsule duration of 3 hours so I find it hard to believe that this would be too heavy for seeq. Is there a way to work around this and show more signal segments?

Regards,

Theresa

I solved it 🙂

Edited by Theresa Nguyen

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Back with a similar question. Is it possible to calculate the difference from the same signal from different Capsules? I have a daily flow total from the years 2016 to 2020. I want to subtract the year 2016 from  year 2020 to account for growth. I want to be able to see the difference on a daily,weekly, or monthly basis if possible.

Ex: July 1st 2020 Monthly total - July 1st 2016 Monthly total.

Edited by kward

• Seeq Team

Hi kward,

You can perform calculations across time by using the delay operator in Formula (or if you are on version 49+, the move operator). For example, if I wanted to calculate the current value minus 4 years ago, you can do the following Formula:

$signal-$signal.delay(4y)

This is essentially saying take my signal and subtract it from the same signal, just moved forward 4 years in time. By doing this, you align the current time and the time exactly 4 years ago to the same timestamp so that it can be subtracted. Note: Again, just for any people on version 49+, the .delay() operator would be switched to .move().

Note that this will do the calculation for every point in time. If you would like to do this based on daily, weekly, or monthly averages, then you should use Signal from Condition to calculate the average you'd like and use that as the $signal input into the Formula above.