Traditional Bar Chart: Possible in Seeq?

I would like to make a classic bar chart with data pulled from a database.  I would like to make something like this:

Some

Common

Y Axis

Tag1.Name Tag2.Name Tag3.Name

Tag#.Name is a string.

Each bar in the bar chart has a value like Tag1.Value1, Tag1.Value2, Tag1.Value3, etc.

The values in the tags will update on a ~3 hour interval, and the goal is to have only the latest data displayed in this bar chart.

Is this achievable with Seeq?  I believe that it is not, based on my cursory search through the documentation.

• Seeq Team

Hi Kevin-

Would you be able to provide some additional information on this Use Case?  Specifically, how do you plan to use the results of the analysis?

If you are looking to determine the latest tag value displayed, this will be easiest using the Scorecard Feature in Seeq.

1. Navigate to Scorecard:

image.png

2. Add a Simple Metric that measures the Value at End of a tag:

image.png

3. Add additional metrics for each tag:

image.png

4. By default, the created Scorecard is based upon the period of time in the Display Range.  To make sure that the Scorecard updates to always show the latest data, enable Auto Update:

image.png

Please let me know if this solution will work for you.  Any additional details you can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,

Lindsey

Yes, I have already built such single-value scorecards.  Strictly speaking, graphs are never "needed" over a table of numbers, but including a bar chart does show the relative magnitudes much better.  In my particular use case, we are reporting values of certain decisions over day/week/month time horizons.  The results will be used to highlight the most valuable decisions, as well as which decisions have become more/less valuable.  These results will be widely shared within my organization, and used for work prioritization.  The decisions and associated $ values are generated by a 3rd party tool.

If I decided I was content with "raw numbers," I would just share around the text-based reports that also get generated by the 3rd party tool.

Edited by Kevin

• Seeq Team

Hi Kevin

Thanks for providing additional details.  Here are some steps that can be used to create a bar graph:

1. Use Formula to create a condition around "now".  Here I've created a condition that has 1 capsule which is always the past 3 hours:

image.png

Note that the "now()" operator is new as of R21.0.41.

2. Use Signal from Condition to create a signal that identifies the Value at End of the input signal in the Now Condition.  

image.png

Here I've created 3 new signals for the Value at End of the Area A, Area B and Area C temperature signals.  For the Area A temperature signal, I select to place the timestamp at the start of the capsule, middle for Area B, and end for Area C.  This ensures that the data points do not overlap each other.  Alternatively, you can adjust the timestamp of the data points in Formula, as well.

3. Use the Customize Menu to display the data points as bars:

image.png

4. Finally, combine the signals into a single lane for easier comparison:

image.png

Be sure to enable Auto Update so the Workbench Analysis is updated with the latest information as new data is available.

Please let me know if these steps work for you.  

Thanks,

Lindsey

• Like 1

• 4 years later...