In XY plot, how can I plot a totaliser by time?

James

Hi all,

I'm trying to plot a totaliser tag. When I go into XY plot, it says it requires at least two numeric signals.

Of course, if I add another tag to the workbook, then that tag value becomes the X axis and the plot becomes garbage.

Is there a way to simply have the timestamps of the tag samples be the X axis?

Thanks!

• Seeq Team

Hi James, 

Have you attempted to plot the totaliser tag on the default trend view of workbench? The X-axis of the trend view displays the timestamps of the tag samples.

My second inquiry pertains to the placement of the timestamp on the XY plot in relation to the timestamp on the trend view. How would you prefer it to be positioned?

Kin How

Thanks Kin How for the quick reply.

Plotting the tag on the trend view works fine, but sometimes I would like to see the samples.

For the second inquiry, I'm not quite sure what you mean? If I plot the tag in XY, then I can see the timestamps for each sample if I hover. But the samples are all over the place, since the X axis placement is the value of some other tag at the same time.

image.thumb.png.b502d416e18ad48467349f312dd22974.png

Thanks for the tip, but when I hover over the trend line I only see an interpolated number in the tooltip and not the nearest sample. Is there a way to see a sample tooltip that would show the recorded sample and its timestamp?

I also tried to use the Table view for this but I don't think that does what I want either.

• Seeq Team

Hi James, 

On the details pane, change the samples to "Points only" or "Bar chart" to see the samples of the signal without interpolation. 

Points only: 

image.png

Bar chart:

image.png

You can view the timestamp and value of the signal in Table view too. First, create a capsule for every sample of your signal using a Formula. 

$signal.setMaxInterpolation(1s).isValid()

Then, switch to "Condition Table" view -> click "Columns" -> select the totaliser signal -> select "Maximum". 

image.png

Now, you can see the timestamp and value of the samples in a Table. 

image.png

Thanks very much! I'm not sure how I missed that Sample Points Plot.
Is it possible to make a minor product suggestion? When plotting Points Only, if the timestamp could "snap" to samples that would be ideal, since currently it is interpolated based on X position of the mouse cursor which means that unless I'm really careful, I might read the wrong time value.