Day lights savings changing

Go to solution Solved by Katie Pintar,

Hello, 

So I have tests in a system that creates data at around 6:38am EST that I try and track as close as I can to a rolling 24hours from that first test to be restarted by the next test around the same time the next day by using the periodic condition and starting it at 6:30am EST. This is fine and it works for the summer months and all that, however due to Fall Backwards when the clocks shift back an hour for the winter, I have the issue of now the day starts after the test it should be following and ends after the next day's test technically. I wanted to do UTC time as then I wouldn't have to worry about this issue, but I have to keep this and the report in EST.

I would prefer to do a rolling 24 hours as it would be easier, but I have no clue how to make it work and not count a 2nd,3rd, etc. test in the middle of the day as a daily morning test and reset the 24 hours and set it off by however many hours the test that set it off occurred at.

If there's a way I can keep all of the data in UTC and then convert everything to EST for the report and still account for whether the clock is moved forwards or backwards that would be great as well. 

If it's better for me to just schedule online help with someone as well, I'll gladly do that instead if I'm suggested to.

Thanks,

A. Hammann

• Seeq Team
  • Solution

Hi A. Hamann,

I am having trouble understanding the issue you are having. If you would like to sign up for office hours or submit a support ticket to share more specific information, you can do so at support.seeq.com. 

In the meantime, here are two different ways you could create your periodic condition:

• If you create a periodic condition in EST and shift it by 6.5 hours, it will start at 6:30 AM year round except for the day of daylight savings time, where the extra hour is accounted for.
  • If you create a periodic condition in UTC and shift it by 11.5 hours, it will start at 6:30 AM in the summer months and 5:30 AM in the winter months. 

Best,

Katie - Seeq Analytics Engineer

Posted (edited)

Hey Katie, 

That second answer was the solution I was looking for. The analyzers I'm working off of don't account for daylights savings, but the way we collect the data from those analyzers does. I didn't realize I could create the timezone in UTC/Zulu and leave the rest of the worksheet in EST/EDT and it would account for all of the time zone changing.

Thanks.

Edited by ANHammann