Querying a SEEQ Workbook TABLE from Excel using SEEQ API

I've got an excel monitoring tool that our operators will use daily. I'd like to be able to build a functionality within the excel tool for pulling data directly from SEEQ into the excel tool. Ideally, I could build some VBA query that works in the background to pull the data from SEEQ using the API, and our operators just click a button to run the VBA code that will query the SEEQ API.

Is there a way to do this? To pull data directly from SEEQ without leaving the EXCEL environment?

• Seeq Team

Hi Chase,

Teddy has a great suggestion above on using Seeq's OData export.

I also wanted to mention another option for your consideration: creating an Add-on tool in Seeq Workbench that has a button the operators click to pull the data. Seeq Add-ons use the Seeq Python Library module (SPy) with Seeq Data Lab. Add-ons can easily pull data into the Data Lab environment and create custom visualizations, calculations, charts, etc. using any Python library functionality, and all of this can be accessed from Seeq Workbench. This may or may not be a way to address your current need, but even if not, it may be a good solution for other applications in the future. 

There is a Seeq Add-on Gallery here: https://seeq12.github.io/gallery/

The following links provide additional information on how to create your own add-ons or install the open source add-ons:

https://seeq.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/pages/2254536724/Add-ons

Thank you for the reply! So far OData is working pretty well for my needs. However, I get a weird issue with the data tables that I pull using the ODATA functionality... For some reason, the data auto-formats to a string/text data type once it enters the excel table. This makes it a little harder to work with because I can't run basic number formulas on the ODATA table (like max, min, avg, etc).

But I'm still able to get the data into EXCEL, and that's a huge first step! Next step is figuring out how to have the data tables formatted appropriately, and then after that exploring options for making the data pulls a little faster (I have 3 ODATA queries for 3 different SEEQ worksheets, I might have to concolidate all the SEEQ signals and calcs to a single SEEQ workseet to make it a single ODATA query).