Spy.Push() to SHARED folders

Tayyab

I see that we can push to corporate folder in the below post, but can this be done for shared folders? If two people wanted to collaborate and push to the same folder, how would they do this? Using corporate folder is not possible for us since Everyone is forced on it and we need to segregate data from Everyone.

• Seeq Team

In order to make something appear in the Shared folder, you must give people/groups read permission in the workbook's Access Control List. You can specify User Groups and/or a particular set of Users.

Take a look at https://python-docs.seeq.com/user_guide/spy.acl.html#modifying-acls-for-pushed-workbooks for info on how to achieve this.

Edited by Mark Derbecker

The workbook is already shared. The issue is as the owner, it shows in My Folder and I'm able to specify paths with Folder >> Folder1 etc, and it pushes it correctly to that folder.

When a colleague uses the same path for a push, it would create a copy of that path in his own "My Folder", rather than pushing to the same shared folder. From my perspective it's my folder that I've shared, but for him it shows up in his shared folders.

i.e. when pushing using the file path, i would specify 

workbook_name = 'Dev >> Folder_xyz >> File'
spy.push(metadata=build,workbook=workbook_name)

For someone who's seeing it in their shared folder this does not work.

• Seeq Team

Hi Tayyab - One alternative would be to disable inheritance on a folder in the Corporate Drive and then removing the "Everyone" group.  To do so, create a folder in the Corporate Drive, click the "three dots" on the right, and select "Manage Permissions".  You will see that "Everyone" has access.  Click on "Advanced" and "Disable permission inheritance".  You can now remove the "Everyone" group from your folder access and add your collaborators and have a folder all your collaborators share (and not "Everyone").

Edited by Patrick
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mark Derbecker said:

Your colleague could also specify the workbook ID directly, something like this:

spy.push(metadata=build,workbook='09A863DF-53F0-4D2A-BD60-A9DEDF07BC2E')

We're not trying to push into the same workbook. We're trying to publish new workbooks so it would not yet have an ID.

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

Hi Tayyab - One alternative would be to disable inheritance on a folder in the Corporate Drive and then removing the "Everyone" group.  To do so, create a folder in the Corporate Drive, click the "three dots" on the right, and select "Manage Permissions".  You will see that "Everyone" has access.  Click on "Advanced" and "Disable permission inheritance".  You can now remove the "Everyone" group from your folder access and add your collaborators and have a folder all your collaborators share (and not "Everyone").

This is helpful. Are we able to disable Everyone alltogether from the corporate folder? Or create similar tabs out like the corporate folder that we could pre-split based on our data segregation needs?

Will try this route. Still curious if we can do it for shared locations.

• 5 months later...
On 7/4/2023 at 10:29 PM, Mark Derbecker said:

Your colleague could also specify the workbook ID directly, something like this:

spy.push(metadata=build,workbook='09A863DF-53F0-4D2A-BD60-A9DEDF07BC2E')

Hi Mark, I met the same issue, push to my folder rather than the shared one. I tried to use the workbook ID, however I got the '(403) Forbidden - Identity' error.