Strange step signal behavior

protonshake

Hello everyone, I am attempting to correlate data to a product code that is in Step interpolation however, the way the step signal comes into Seeq is rather strange.  There are peaks and valleys but the text value is similar (capitalization differences) at both the peak and the valley.  Is there a way to smooth this signal out in Seeq to make each step a single capsule?

Seeq Question.png

• Seeq Team

Hi protonshake - To convert a step signal into capsules, you can use the 

.tocapsules()

or

.toCondition()

formula.  The former will create a capsule between each sample, regardless if the value has changed or not, whereas .toCondition() will create a continuous capsule if the value is not changing.

Regarding your input signal and changing case, is the end goal for the above to have a single capsule for the duration shown (i.e., ignore the signal case), or do you want them separated out each time the source signal case changes? 

50 minutes ago, Patrick said:

Hi protonshake - To convert a step signal into capsules, you can use the 

.tocapsules()

or

.toCondition()

formula.  The former will create a capsule between each sample, regardless if the value has changed or not, whereas .toCondition() will create a continuous capsule if the value is not changing.

Regarding your input signal and changing case, is the end goal for the above to have a single capsule for the duration shown (i.e., ignore the signal case), or do you want them separated out each time the source signal case changes? 

Patrick, thanks for your swift reply.  My goal in this case is to combine the two variations of the same capsule into one continuous capsule.  

• Seeq Team

Gotcha.  The good news is that coming in R63 will be a way to force string signal values to be upper, lower, or titlecase.  The bad news is that R63 is not yet released, though it's right around the corner.

IF your signal name is consistent, one way to tackle this would be to do a replace on the string to standardize the case:

$string_signal
.replace('BLU','Blu')
.replace('LB','lb')

You can then create a condition using .toCondition() which will span the entire duration when the signal value doesn't change.

$replaced_string.toCondition()

The result will be a single condition for that string state:

image.png

As noted, this will be more simple/robust starting in R63 where step 1 can simply be replaced by

$string_signal.lower()

which will force the Signal value to be all lower case (alternatively, .upper() and .toTitleCase() will also be available for your use.)

Let me know if this helps.